The reason Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه was able to Narrate so many Ahadeeth

On one occasion Marwaan bin Hakam became angry at Sayyidina Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه and said in anger to him, “People say that Abu Hurairah narrates so many Ahadeeth but he did not remain long in the company of Rasoolullah صلى الله عليه وسلم . You only came to Madinah a few years before the demise of Rasoolullah صلى الله عليه وسلم."

Sayyidina Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه replied, “This is true that I came into the company of Rasoolullah صلى الله عليه وسلم after the battle of khaybar and at that time my age was thirty. From that moment onwards I became the shadow of Rasoolullah صلى الله عليه وسلم and remained with him at all times until he left this world. I used to go to the home of Rasoolullah صلى الله عليه وسلم and remain in his service. I performed Salaah behind him and rode along with Rasoolullah صلى الله عليه وسلم when he went for Hajj. I participated alongside Rasoolullah صلى الله عليه وسلم in the battles that came after. I take an oath by Allaah! I am more acquainted with Hadeeth then others.”

In another narration it is reported that Sayyidina Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه explained the reason for narrating so many narrations as follows,

“You say that Abu Hurairah narrates many Ahadeeth whereas the Muhaajireen do not. Allaah is my  witness to the reality that the  Muhaajireen would tend to their land but I was a poor person who possessed nothing but a few morsels to fill my belly. Therefore I had the opportunity to remain the most in the company of Rasoolullah صلى الله عليه وسلم. When they were absent, I was present to tend to Rasoolullah صلى الله عليه وسلم when they would forget something, I would remember it."

Once Rasoolullah صلى الله عليه وسلم said, “Who will spread his shawl on the ground and then wrap it around him; who will not forget anything I say thereafter?” I spread my shawl on the ground, and Rasoolullah صلى الله عليه وسلم continued his sermon and once he finished, I wrapped the shawl around me. I take an oath by Allaah! Whatever I heard from Rasoolullah صلى الله عليه وسلم thereafter I never forgot.”

Sayyidina Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه was proficient in the other sciences of knowledge in addition to being proficient in the field of Ahadeeth.
He had made propagation of Ahadeeth his life's work,
Which is why he is included amongst those who have narrated the most number of Ahadeeth. The narrations reported from him number 5347 and what is especially noteworthy is that it is not restricted to one subject only but encompasses all aspects of Deen. The majority of these narrations, he reports directly from Rasoolullah صلى الله عليه وسلم

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Martyrdom of Hadhrat Mus'ab bin Umayr رضي الله عنه

The Treaty of Hudaybiyyah and the incidents of Hadhrat Abu Jandal & Abu Baseer رضي الله عنهم

Rumaysa Bint Milhaan (Umme Sulaym) رضي الله عنها